Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ready, set, set, set, set

Almost go! Met with the doc today. Jacki was there by my side thank God. This was one of the very serious, nuts and bolts conversations with the doc. I have been amazed each step of the process, how generous some of these oncologists are with their time with a patient.

He laid out the stats about 3 different drugs that are being tried for "metastasized papillary renal cell carcinoma" - PRCC. He wants to hear from one more colleague about testing another drug, a MET inhibitor, but unless that is a big surprise, we are going with Tarceva. It's a pill taken once a day, every day. I might get acne, I might get diarrhea, I might be tired a lot. Could be none of the above or all of the above. Probably won't lose my hair.

Let me tell you, this was a heavy duty sobering conversation. Of course, you know me; couldn't resist a little humor exchange with the doc. Lightened it up briefly, but these things have a distinctly persistent lack of humor. One of these days I'm going to find some cancer funnies.

So they took blood and scheduled another CT Scan to set a current baseline for measuring chemo's results. I talk with the doc again on Monday, get the script, get the drug and start taking it.

Walking out of there, I felt shaken but not stirred. Jacki being there was a shock absorber. Burden shared is half a burden. Tears were there but soaked up by a sense of determination to be one of the "over 5 year" guys. Cures get developed every year and I am going to be around for the cure for PRCC. Tarceva is my friend, I have dealt with zits before, and I can get large sized Imodium at Costco and I like my naps anyway.

I do not have to deal with it alone. Matter of fact, I could not if I tried. I need you, the reader, my friends, my loved ones, my family and all who, not even knowing me, pray for me anyway. I need my God, my Creator and I pray for the strength and courage to hit it with my best shot!

Right now, it is near the end of my day. I feel tired physically, mentally, emotionally. I have had enough for one day. Call my sponsor, talk with a couple of my guys, cuddle with Jacki, pray and sleep. The biggest mystery here is how could I get through this without you? Thanks.
Bill

3 comments:

  1. Your Creator will be there! Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine 15 years ago what your reaction to this same news would have been.

    My belief is that together we will make it through this.

    Love you Bill and thank you for letting me use the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you and Kate ought to be writing the 'C Funnies.'

    Hey, if you get acne, can I please pop your zits...Please. I'll pay you for it!!!

    xxoo
    c ya fri night

    ReplyDelete