Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tough questions, tough answers

First, I know some of you missed the web site I recommended, one of the most impactful I have ever seen. Go to ted.com/index.php/talks/list to see Jill Bolte Taylor. Her talk is long but seriously informative, fascinating and inspiring.

Yesterday was our meeting with the cancer doctor (oncologist). In sum, what I have is not curable, but it may be treatable enough to give me more time. Chemo starts week after next. The diagnosis is a very unusual form of "metastasized papillary carcinoma consistent with primary urothelial cancer". The urethra basically connects the kidneys with the bladder, hence the difficulty diagnosing between kidney cancer and bladder cancer. Because the C moved into my lungs, the prognosis became more bleak. I have not had the C very long, maybe 6 moths to a year, and what caused it is totally unknown. Guessing when we pushed him, and based on averages of all age groups and fitness levels, he said I have two years or so. Optimistic as I am, I figure that means a good 5 yrs for me because of all the powerful love in my life from people like you.

The doc was with us explaining, reviewing and answering questions for over 2 hours yesterday. I was wiped out by that time and saturated beyond my ability to listen anymore. Driving home was a very long journey, and I spoke to only 2 or 3 by phone. It was Jacki, my daughter Kate and me in a wooden boat going through the rapids. Today? Well today weighs heavy but I am seeking the light.
Bill

5 comments:

  1. Regarding yo-yo: F(*& it with saying f(*& it!
    A LOT can happen in 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bill. your Mom been keeping up to date on things with you. I don't really know what to say to you. Your are a great guy and a fighter. If there's is anything I can do for you. Please let me know. Call me any time. I will say some more prayers for you! With God's love and mine, Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill,

    Well what can one say.... I guess what is the trueth is what needs to be said. You have a lot of love in you and you are loved by a whole lot of people. I was given a wonderful wall hanging that says "We don't remember the days, we remember the moments". You have many more moments to love and be loved.

    Did I hear that you are speaking at World this year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't heard from you in 2 days in this blog.

    I want to say that you are an insiration to me.

    If you ever wonder whether or not you made a difference you can use me as a reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you today. I'm sitting here staring at the computer screen knowing somewhat what you must be going through. People don't know what to say or how to react to all of this. When friends would come to the hospital I could see that look on their face. I would say, "It is alright to say the C word". Hang in my friend. There will be good days and bad ones. As always, I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete