Monday, February 23, 2009

Action Program

A sponsee once called his crusty old timer sponsor at 11 o'clock at night. Old codger finally answered and the sponsee asked, "Sponsor, what is love?" With no hesitation and a certain needed gruffness, sponsor said, "Same thing at 11 in the morning as it is at 11 at night, ACTION!!!" and hung up.

The program of recovery I live is one of action as I believe is any loving spiritual path. Walk the walk. Faith without works . . . We all say I love you but have difficulty taking actions that back up the words. I have been saying I want to beat this thing, delay, stretch out the time, live life to the fullest. Today may have been a turning point in acting like I want to live my life rather than die my life.

Maybe I am too concrete, but I do best with a short set of simple and specific actions:
1. exercise some every day, even just a short walk.
2. Practice relaxing and meditating and visualizing a few minutes twice a day.
3. Pray harder, even when I feel disconnected - "fake it 'til I make it."
4. Actively relate to my wife daughter friends and family.
5. Reach out and be of some small service.

All of those positive actions have a beneficial impact on my body, mind emotions and spirit. Those benefits are contagious just like a smile. Biggest benefit right now is to help turn my psyche from dark to light, from despair to hope, from doubt to belief that I can be an exceptional patient doing all I can to cooperate with healing.

When you call or write, please ask about my action that day. I ask you to love me enough to pull my covers and help me be accountable for my part in my healing. Otherwise, for too many moments each day I am rationalizing and justifying too much nonsense between my ears. Thanks!
Bill

3 comments:

  1. You are the one that taught me to ask for help. The reason I followed your instructions in the past, and continue to do so is because I DO see you walk your talk. I don't expect anything different now.

    So what action have you taken today? I know... it is only 3:27 AM, but hey... get moving! LOL

    I love you Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it uncle Bill!! Remember that perception is 9/10 of reality! If you can perceive it you can dream it! If you can dream it you can do it!

    "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." -Isaiah 40:31

    I hope you're havin a positive day! You're definitely in my thoughts and prayers!

    Love Ya,
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I support you and honor your commitment to yourself to do everything you can to LIVE your life. I will be right beside you as your life partner. Love to you my darling.

    ReplyDelete