Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Belief

A miracle is not the suspension of natural law,
but the operation of a higher law.
I prefer to believe that the doctors and chemo assist the miracle. It's gonna take a miracle to whup this cancer. It is a miracle that has years to develop and happen. It may come in the form of a medical advance. My doc says there may be a trial coming of a MET inhibitor that compliments the drug I started on Tuesday. We could catch my cancer in a cross fire.

My God uses people to instigate and manifest miracles. Who am I to say what form that may take. My best understanding is that I must cooperate with the work of my higher power who creatively writes higher law. Might even uses natural law as a spring board.

Today was the 2nd day taking the innocent looking little white pill. One a day, every day; see the doc every other week. The only apparent side effects so far are a very dry mouth with a metallic taste, and drowsiness for about 2 hours after taking it. I don't feel safe driving. Sat in a meeting today with some concern that I would seem "on a nod".

Daughter Kate said yesterday, "don't manifest the side effects."
I agree that dwelling on the possibilities can sort of attract the symptoms. My body does speak to me and I notice little changes. What is real, and what is just in my head? I have no magic answer to that question. I do know from my own experience that when I move a muscle I get another feeling. Action effects how I feel, so staying busy, active, involved all help get me out of my own head where every little thing might be a symptom. Action frees me from my own head. If I have a significant side effect, it will have to bang loudly on my door.

There I am, trying to see the bright side, the empowering side. And, I also get stuck in the obsessive part, the "worry is like praying for something you don't want to happen." I get mixed messages (probably from me) about whether it is okay to think certain thoughts, or feel certain ways. I am self centered enough to primarily think about me. My case is worse/more important than others. Tears threaten to fall over so many little things, but the thought quickly following is "yeah but, its not that important!" I have cancer so I am supposed to have this new perspective about what's really important. But the truth is, I mostly think it is my stuff that is important, not yours. I have moments (quite a few actually) of compassion for others, but even right now writing this, my head says "but not enough moments".

For years now, I have tried to banish words like should, supposed to, ought to - those words are judgmental of myself and most of us use them way too much. Turns out that cancer brings out a bunch of old habits, thoughts, resentments. So, it's not all peachy here in my skin. But a good friend says I can start my day over repeatedly by saying "TA DAAAA". Kind of silly, but it works.
Bill

8 comments:

  1. Dear Bill, Until I asked your mom last weekend how to do this, I kept wanting to comment, but didn't know how. (Wow! Talk about commputer illiterate/unobservant!!)

    Here are some of my thoughts/advice (of course, I haven't "been where you are" so my advice/thoughts may not be totally pertinent for you):

    Any way you feel and any thoughts you think are "normal"/okay. And, of course, it's okay to tell God how you feel (that you're mad at Him, etc.) -- He knows, anyway!

    Just because you may know of someone who is worse off/in more pain (emotionally as well as physically)/etc. than you, doesn't lessen your pain, so don't chastise yourself too much for your feelings.

    Have you made a list of things for which you're thankful? Sometimes a visible list that you keep to read when you're feeling low
    can help.

    I hope you know that I have been and will continue to be praying for you (and Jacki and Katie and your mom and others who are hurting because you are hurting).

    Love, Aunt Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent description of what a miracle is! And Esther's comments were right on. Shane Gee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bill,
    I am so tech challenged, it's taken me a least one week to get my password changed with Google. Dense!!
    I heard in a meeting..that choice is our lifeline. It's like binary. Either I choose to use this moment to attune myself with my Higher Power or I don't..and in the intense holiness of that same moment, I am one with the universe and ALL IS WELL.

    Like so many of the tools of recovery, I feebly remember to follow the Good Orderly Directions I am given by Grace alone.
    You are beloved to so many people who will bear you up on wings of eagles... for we are all at oneness with this vast Universe that we can hardly conceptualize in our finite perceptions.
    I send you my love...you are both constantly in my prayers today and everyday.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true in what you wrote in the Belief Blog. Without God nothing is possible and with God all things are possible. Love Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buddha said "we can search the whole wide world over and not find a being more worthy of compassion then ourselves."

    That was a bizarre concept for this addict. We are so merciless with ourselves. When I am able to touch my own pain and suffering with tenderness and kindness, meet my own failings, fears and shortcomings with mercy and love, then my capacity for acceptance and compassion for others blossoms, too. Quite a tall order, as you know. But some how, some way, all things serve a spiritual purpose.

    You are a beautiful loving man, Bill. Thanks for sharing yourself with us so intimately here. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You taught me once that thoughts that come to me are beyond my control. What I DO have control of is my response to those thoughts.

    I can dwell upon them and therefore "manifest" them, or I can acknowledge the thought and dismiss it. I can react to the thought or I can respond appropriately.

    There are a lot of non mainstream ways of spiritual support and of manifesting positives. Let me know if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill, I'm behind here so I hope you still see this comment.
    Actually, when I read Esther's comment it was exactly what I wanted to say.
    Also,I've never tried TA-DAA but I do get up in the morning and say,"Good morning Lord! Thanks for another day!"
    Sure love you! Gina

    ReplyDelete