Sunday, May 10, 2009

MBA Girl & Moms

Wow! What a weekend! Yesterday I was privileged to watch my only child, a young adult I admire, graduate with her MBA degree. All the pomp and circumstance, cap and gown, the whole 9 yards. Good thing I had strong buttons on my shirt 'cause they wanted to pop off. And then, she just had to have sushi to celebrate and she has found a nice little mom & pop place with excellent elegantly displayed sushi, sashimi, and even some cooked stuff for less refined taste buds. ;-) What a good time we had! Thanks Kate!

Today of course is Mother's Day. Some of the mothers I know, because of wreckage of the past from active addiction, are not in their children's lives. How sad those stories are, yet I have seen such depth of emotion, bonds and longings that run deep to the core of all those women now that they are clean and recovering. I have been privileged to watch some of those torn apart bonds reconnect and heal through the recovery process. Some of the women I know however, no matter the quality and depth of their recovery, no matter their desire to set things right, never experience the opportunity to again know their children.

I say all that because I am so grateful for being so close with my daughter, and knowing my Mother, feeling her love, all my life. And I appreciate all those women unable to reconnect with their children who give in so many other ways. Their children would be proud of them.

Cancer? Even that fades into the shadow of the importance and power of mothers and daughters and sisters and wives. Often I miss the boat of understanding them, but they are awesome, so I keep paddling, hard, to catch up.
Bill

3 comments:

  1. I think considering to whom you are married, you best throw away the paddle and look for an outboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Bill. The fruit must not fall far from the tree. It's fantastic that you find conditions for great joy and happiness even in the midst of the trials of treatment and diagnosis. The miracle is always somewhere right in front of us. Thanks for pointing the way.

    ReplyDelete