Monday, March 1, 2010

Long time, no write . . .

It has been just about a year since a specific dianosis was reached - metastasized papillary renal cell carcinoma, PRCC. I am not sure it is the pill form chemo drug Tarceva, or what, but the largest growth of any of my tumors is about one centimeter. I still feel nothing from the kidney tumor, but my breathing is impacted some by the nodules in my lungs. I started the medicine last March, but the centimeter of growth is measured frome the first CT scan January 2009.

The year marks a turning point for how I think about and feel about having this unusual and "incurable" form of cancer. What does my doctor really know? What does he not know? Early on, in some degree of shock, Jacki and I both took him at his word to be a a ntion wide expert in PRCC. Maybe he is. I know that he did not follow up on one drug trial I pointed him toward a year ago. In his practice, his patient times were adjusted from 20 min to 15 min. I know he did not follow up on a promised graph of tumor change over the months.

We have concluded that he may well be an "expert" in his field, but he still knows very little about inhibiting papillary cell growth. Nobody knows much about it. I want to know what they know AND what they do not know!!! I have finally defined my necessary role as Project Manager of my own treatment.

So, you helped me find a listserve of fellow PRCC patients. Through them I learned of a number of oncologists around the country who are or have worked with PRCC. Of those, much of the small amout of research on PRCC is done at the National Institute of Health. Their department of Cancer studies is deep into papillary study and trial interventions.

I must point out to our conservative party of NO! citizens that this place is an example of socialized healthcare. They are mostly government funded. No sanctified capitalistic pharmaceutical company has nor will invest much in research about PRCC nor most other unusual forms of cancer. No money in it.

I have cultivated an informed relationship with the head nurse of the department and I now have the cell number of one of the doctors. They want me to go to them in Bethesda, Maryland for a complete physical workup, perhaps to the genetic level. Then they will layout the drug trial pros and cons (additional side effects?) to Jacki and me to help us decide to be or not to be part of the trial. This stage 2drug trial uses my current drug, Tarceva, combined with another drug that kind of hits my cancer from a different angle. Sort of a double whammy approach that lets me be a bit more hopeful.

The doc I have spoken with said the combination looks very promising. In April I go to Bethesda for a few days of evaluation. They pay airfare and hotel but we pay Jacki's air. I am excited. If Jacki and I decide to do the trial it will require more trips to Bethesda.

That uplifting hopeful development the balance out with feeling angry a few times over the next few days. During a brisk long frustrated walk one night I had an overwhelming urge to throw my cell phone though a couple plate glass windows and then run like a scared rabbit. Then I realized my phone would be evidence inside the plate glass window -- uh ohh. I am typically better at stuffing anger than appropriately expressing this very human response to pain. Of course, stuffing anger squeezes out rage of coagulates inside into depression So vehemently talking about it and just thinking of throwing my phone or slashing my doctor's tires is progress for me and a bit more honest than "oh, I'm a little disappointed."

The anger was about yet another quality of life loss. We had to cancel a first time to Hawaii long planned trip. No biking, no skiing, no job, less freedom, spongy brain, cloudy thinking, memory loss. Cadillac problems all, but cancer is a thief and I am pissed off enough to fight.

Last night I became aware that in talking with others and particularly Jacki, I was focusing on some side benefits of going to Bethesda. For example I love the possibility of walking the monument filled Capitol Mall in nearby DC. I get choked up about getting to visit The Wall. Long ago I had an overwhelming experience visiting Philadelphia and the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. I want it again, perhaps 10 fold in DC.

What I was not talking about is the underbelly of doing the trial. What if it does not work? How bad are the side effects? How much will I be away from friends and family? Even if I still die from PRCC, will I at least have helped the next guy? However, regardless of those fears, at least I will feel like I am doing something! Something please!!

Thanks for listening!
Bill

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I've missed the blogs and check here frequently. You are an amazing man and I'm proud of you, Bill. Your honesty and candor are an inspiration. You also cultivate informed friendships and I'm glad of it. I appreciate your will to live and vigilant footwork balanced by spiritual awareness and surrender. Thanks for being there for me brother. All love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Billy Boy. I, too, find myself checking this for updates weekly, sometimes more.
    I am grateful you share with us. We are tied to your ability to keep us current...I say we, habit. I am tied to your updating me.
    I love you! I am grateful for you directing your anger to fight, stand up, use your voice. (what else could you do with it? Double pane glass doesn't break with a measly cell phone- screw that idea)
    Anyways, I am excited about your turn of direction for treatment, testing. Also of walking in Dr King Jr's footsteps.
    Thank you for digging deep and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. frankly, i was excited after reading your entry. maybe taking another kind of action will help direct that building frustration and anger powerhouse that is so difficult to express in any manner. and bottom line is maybe it will be helpful. so when do you think to take this trip out east? d.c. and philly are great towns to visit with lots of inspiring places. hopefully, if you choose to go this route, the side effects will not be dreadful. ugh. tough tough. you are strong and inspiring to me. love, carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Bill sounds like your plate is full too. I know in my heart of hearts that the trip to D>C> will be eventful for you and Jackie. Much Love Scott K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill,
    Mom is here with me, we are happy to hear that you have been accepted into a study! D.C. will be an uplifting place to be while you continue this fight...and win!
    We love you and pray for you everyday!
    xoxoxo
    Sherry & Sharon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bill!!

    I am glad to hear you are taking charge of your cancer recovery.

    Yeah what Linda said... the cell phone won't cut it... and if it is security glass neither will bricks... bounce off and strike you in your head. I saw that on Dumbest Criminals.

    My recommendation is an 18 wheeler, bulldozer or the odd tank someone left running with the keys in it. ( Do tanks HAVE keys?)

    If you go to DC remember a few things I learned on my visit there:

    1. You will spend more time parking the car than driving it. Take public transit if possible. I can send you my Metro card. There is still about $20 on it and rechargeable.

    2. Pedestrians only have the right of way in legal theory. In practice they are fair game especially if the crosswalk timer is below 3 seconds.

    3. Honking the car horn is apparently a greeting because everyone does it... at all hours of the day & night.

    4. If Obama... or whomever is in office at the time.. is speaking in the Rose Garden, avoid the Whitehouse as you won't get within 5 miles through the intense security.

    5. Even if your shoes are comfortable, WEAR CUSHIONED ORTHOTIC INSERTS OR DIE! You will walk... a lot!

    6. Take your camera EVERYWHERE!

    7. Take an entire box of tissues to The Wall. You can share what you don't use personally.

    8. Catch the last public viewing of Changing of the Guard at Arlington National Cemetary; Tomb of the Unknowns. If you get to the Tomb of the Unknowns around 4:15ish PM you can get a good seat. Pick the highest point possible in front of the Tomb. The ceremony starts at 5PM. The Sergeant at Arms will demand that you stand while remaining silent out of respect. The announcement afterwards is "special" and only given at the last public viewing.

    You and Jacki are beautiful and special people to me and I love you both.

    ReplyDelete