Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Survivors

I have recently begun getting to know a cancer survivor who is inspiring. Notice I did not say I am inspired. Rather I would like to be inspired by what he has done and how he does it. He had two or three cancer bouts that included serious chemo and radiation. For awhile he had to wear a Sh*t bag (I don't know it's proper name). He rode his bicycle wearing that thing. Now he exercises hours a day, fasts over a day each week, and practices regular formal meditation. That's his story and I find myself disbelieving. How can anyone be that disciplined? How could I be that disciplined?

His cancer was terminal - instead of dying, he did things like have lunch during 3 or 4 hours of IV chemo. He says exercise, diet and meditation is the key. I want to be inspired.

First definition in Webster's for inspire is: transitive verb; to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration. Too big a part of me just does not buy into me being so inspired as to behave in such a positively obsessive way as my new friend does. And yet, for 15 years I have been practicing a spiritual path and I have seen many miracles. Divine inspiration is waiting for me to reach for and participate in my own miracle. My friend's
actions have maximized his body's natural immune system and its ability to heal. What about me?

It is not news to me that self sabotage is my biggest shortcoming. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Shortcomings; the things in me my sponsor has asked me to write about. Maybe that is what I am doing here. TOMORROW I WILL RIDE MY BICYCLE. God, please help me . . . some more.
Bill

3 comments:

  1. Yesterday's inspiring example is just what I'd wish for you to follow, or others, possibly less positively obsessive.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ride, I'll ride. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You taught me that some of us weren't born gifted so we have to learn. The way to learn a new skill, like staying clean, is PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

    So get off of your butt and get to practicing. Geez!

    ReplyDelete