Thursday, November 11, 2010

Comparing a few notes

Again, writing my blog and writing to others effected by the same cancer type, seem to feel the same to me, so I put this one in the blog.

Say Hey Matt, I did not even see that I had a reply from you until just now. I had another infusion of Avastin today. I think this is the 7th. I recall the first almost giving me a lift for a couple hours after, but now it just kicks my butt for 2 - 4 days. Since the previous infusion I have been fatigued all but 5 or 6 hours each day and even then I get uncontrollably drowsy and have to, HAVE to, get horizontal for a while.

I cannot imagine what this must be like for your daughters. My 27 yr old daughter has been a trooper and very helpful and supportive, but I also think she blocks it out most of the time. That's the thing about this type of cancer, it just drags on and on. I still feel no direct effect of the cancer itself, well maybe some breathing difficulty, so I sometimes wonder, "Will my life be like this for 5 or 10 years, or will the cancer suddenly take me south in a few months?" I imagine for our daughters it must be like having to watch wheat grow on an active California fault line waiting for the earthquake.

I have been told the Avastin costs about $5000 per two week dose, and the Tarceva is about $100 a day. I cannot imagine how anyone outside some research project could be on these drugs which seem to be the only thing that works on our type of cancer. To be having to fight with insurance companies on top of cancer's emotional drain - I can only sense a dread.

So the medication adds up to about $13,000 per month. My brain comes up with things like, should we in America spend that much to prolong a life? And of course, that thought is supported by, "Am I worth it?" Thank God I do not have to answer those questions now. I am extremely grateful for me personally being blessed with my treatment, and I feel so very sorry for so many in the USA who are not allowed this or other treatments because of money. I think I will stop here before getting on my healthcare soap box.
Bill

2 comments: