Monday, December 7, 2009

It's okay

Left the doc's office a few hours ago. I already told a few loved ones that the new scan showed no growth. Not quite true. The increase in size is measured in an approximate number of millimeters. It works out to a curent rate of growth that will take over 5 years for any of the nodules in my lungs to double in size. The doc is going to pick 10 of the nodules and graph their changes in size from first CT scan last January through each of the 5 scans since then. I go back to see that graphing on Jan 11.

Jacki and I left his office, both I think in an absorbing mode. She went to work. I ran a couple errands and came home intending to get a few things done and go to a 6pm meeting. Instead, I have holed up in my cave feeling numb and unsocial with my phone ringer shut off. Have not talked with anyone for over 6 hours which is a near record for me. My emotions are in a slow eddy, swirling but I think going down no more.

I have tried to find others with my particular brand of cancer, "Metasticized Papillary Renal Carcinoma" for those who are technical. Wikipedia says there are about 2,500,000 new cancer diagnosis a year in the USA. Of those, 50,000 are new kidney cancer diagnosis. That is about 2% of all cancers. The doc says there are only 3000 or so new cases a year of my little specialty form of kidney cancer. I would really like to find even just one of those 3000 new patients.
Bill

4 comments:

  1. It is okay ... better than bad news, like fast growth. Unfortunately we have to celebrate the small stuff.

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, and just do as much as you can right now. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'll try again! I selected the wrong profile earlier. And now I can't remember what I said! (Getting old is wonderful!! ha!)

    Anyway, Happy Birthday!! I'm sooooooo glad you've made it to 58! Do you remember thinking 58 was old? I remember thinking 65 was old, and that 60 wasn't far behind. And 58 is getting close! (Just remember, no matter how old you are, I'm 11 years older!)

    It was great seeing you and Jacki at the reunion! And you were both looking fantastic!

    Love to you both, Esther

    ReplyDelete