Monday, January 23, 2012

Just type the first word

Seems it has been difficult to write - the words just don't come.  I have talked about my cancer and answered the question, "How ya feeling?" so many times and in the past I was able to give some sort of answer that made sense.  It was always about side effects of the drugs and that remains easy to describe.  The difference now is that the drug I am on with T-Gen has no obvious unmistakeable side effects.  When I feel pain in my hips or at a bone lesion site, is that a side effect or is it . . . the disease?  Is it cancer or is it aging?

So here's what I know.  The scans six weeks ago showed no measurable change in size of tumors. No shrinkage, but no growth.  The trial drug seems to be helping.  I also know that my breathing is worsened - trial drug induced or dog induced?   And, over the holidays I had to be on oxycodone for 11 days - walked with a cane, and wheel chaired through the airports.  Pain radiated from lesion on my left sacral area and cascaded to hips, joints, legs.  I remember no pain that bad other than an invasive biopsy through my ribs.

I never had such pain before this medicine, but does that mean it is a side effect?  Couple docs have told me bone lesions just plain hurt sometimes.  I can say for sure that the pain killer drugs scare me!

Sorry, that's all I have for now.

3 comments:

  1. just write the first word. You don't have to be doing ok - or say you are ok when you aren't.

    I'm sorry that you are in pain, but glad that you are are alive to feel anything.

    My magic wand is broken - but I would sure pull it out and try again if I thought it would help.

    I'm out of town this weekend - so no chance to see you for a while, but give yourself a gentle hug from me and pass one on to your wife too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, So glad to see your post!
    Thank you too Barbara for your comments. You said my thoughts very well. I'm just glad that even though there was no shrinkage, there was also no growth!
    Bill, I love you and I'm praying for you! Hugs to you and Jacki! SLY, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill, glad to hear the January update. Wonderful news that things are stable. You are very courageous to share with us. Thinking about you. Medicine is not perfect and yet there are always promising new developments in cancer treatment, if only they would take the red tape out of the picture. Keep on Bill, we need you as our inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete