Sunday, June 19, 2011

They should do a study

They should do a study of what happens when you come off a chemo drug after 2 1/2 years on. I felt really good for the first 10 days or so, and I still do. And, some odd little symptoms linger. Late morning I may feel extreme drowsy with a little blur vision and off balance. Or, I might not and feel fine until 4 or 5pm, then the drowsy thing. I swear I cannot see as well since stopping the drugs. There is an intermittent blur, one eye then next time the other. My body hair is growing back and I need a haircut much sooner than all the time on treatment. My head hair is not as coarse. None are tough symptoms, just little oddities that I won't even notice or remember in a couple weeks - the body does forget.

It has been a month long break from treatment. Now it's time to go again but on something different. I have been exploring several "first in man" trials, but I think I will wait and be "2nd in man" when those trials mature a bit. NIH is trying to get one of those and I will be a good candidate when that happens. For now, I plan to start Torisel, a weekly in the arm infusion along with the previously used Avastin to slow blood flow to tumors. For Torisel info: http://www.torisel.com/How-Torisel-Works.aspx

First of July I qualify for Medicare, so no more very high premium COBRA payment. Medicare is not free but it's expense does have a predictable cap that most likely is less than I had to pay on COBRA to have coverage. Medicare is way to complex to get started on, mostly because Congress has passed so many nit picking laws. I think many elderly get caught in the complexity and do not get the care they need or pay too much. Hopefully I have it nailed correctly from the start.

Between figuring out medicare and researching trials and knowing I need to get back on treatment, I was feeling overwhelmed and stressed. The relief of getting those things done is welcome. Thank you all for being in each other's corner.
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment