Monday, February 28, 2011

Skype Over My Head

If I do not blog today, I do not get to Skype with my wife tonight. EXTORTION:"to gain especially by ingenuity or compelling argument". I love it when she extorts me, so here is today's blog.

Skype. I knew nothing of it until about year and a half ago. Then as I learned, I had a bright idea: "Maybe my 78 yr old mother might like this for her birthday". So I gave her a computer camera (webcam) and helped her get a simple online program called Skype. Now she can call anyone who also has a webcam and see each other as they talk. Let me tell ya, this is the best gift I have ever given to anybody. My whole family is visually connected even though hundreds or thousands of miles apart. It makes Mom's day to Skype - ah what the heck, it makes my day too.

So now, Jacki is away skiing for a week in Whistler, BC, Canada, with long time girlfriends. Don't tell her, but I was scared to have her leave. However my cancer effected day had gone, I always knew she was coming home and it would be alright. What am I going to do without her? At the same time, I knew she needs the break from cancer, from me, from work, and she needs the magical filling up experience of three long, long time friends hanging out together. I am thrilled she is gone!!!

There was some advance planning besides the actual logistics of her trip. Jacki, my daughter Kate, sponsees, family and friends have colluded to make sure I do not isolate, hibernate nor contemplate too much. Gatherings were arranged, appts arranged, phone calls arranged, drop-ins arranged, and yes, Skypes arranged. I am in the middle of it, but can you also feel the piles of love I am left to sit in here in Arizona? Gives me chills.

Physically I feel better than in several months. The horrendous energy sapping gagging vomiting cough that lingered three months has finally lifted. I get to re-cooperate and get stronger, clearing away the clouds enough to sort out what the medicine side-effects are. My energy level is slowly increasing. My body is healing and my outlook is a little brighter. It is hard to keep the chin up when the body is hacking and struggling to breathe.

So anyway, I go to Bethesda in two weeks for scans pokes and prods, evaluation and re-staging. If I see measurable significant shrinkage of the cancer nodules in my lungs, then I will continue with the current regimen. If no shrinkage? What price is too high? We shall see.

Kate comes over after work today - maybe shoot some pool (she is pretty good). Talk with a few of my guys. Best of all, I get to Skype with my wife tonight - hear her voice, see her smile, and let each other know it's alright and we are blessed. Pretty good gift this Skype thing, don't ya think?
Bill

4 comments:

  1. Glad Jacki still knows what motivates you. Great to hear your feeling better. If you like what your getting keep doing what your doing!!! I think I heard that somewhere.
    God's Love!
    Preston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm new to your blog. Skype is a great way to stay in touch, hope things keep improving!

    Best,
    Hua
    healthcentral.com

    ReplyDelete