Sunday, April 11, 2010

What's gonna come out here?

Would that I could write this knowing noone is going to read it. Sure, I could write in some private spot, sduch as a word doc or a journal kep in my machine. My ego not so secretly wants to be read, but sometimes it can come out of me without much interference from ego. I want to look good, but more importantly especially now, I want to feel good.

Writing here was regular for about 10 months, and has tapered down to nearly zero. I do not know why, but I do know I have felt crappy between my own ears recently. The physical symptoms have gradually worsened though still not debilitating for more than 4 or 5 hours a day. Worse has been the mental/emotional . I had a couple conversations the past 2 weeks about I was so tired of being so sensitive and how I had just been putting emotions on the shelf. But as soon as I verbalized that a couple times, the crying began to trigger more readily. The weight of having incurable cancer began to feel heavier than last couple months. All the what's gonna happen to my family, friends etc? What will Jacki have to deal with - I just hate what this is and will put her through.

Some things do not help and instead make things worse. e had a trip to Hawaii planned for next week. In my mind it was sort of a "bucket list" item of a last big trip. Rather morose perhaps, but that is how it felt. Then the opportunity to be part of the new drug trial came up and changed the picture. Maybe I don't have to die antytime soon. However the timing of the trial and timing of Hawaii conflicted. Going back and forth to Bethesda changed our financial picture. We could not afford Hawaii and Bethesda travel. The timing is off. So we cancelled Hawaii.

The airline at first was fine with cancelling, and even said a letter from the doctors in Bethesda would work and we would get our airfare back in a week or so. But then they informed us that because we had trip imsuirance we would have to go through an insurance company. The nightmare began, Insurance- nightmare - the stereotype. They want reports from last six doctors, copies of office visit notes, proof of diagnosis. I think the requirements are a list of twelve items. To me it feels like a ton of weight and I just do not have the extra mental energy already in short supply.

Then I ask my oncologist for a copy of his notes. I receive them and read something that makes all that I go through sound like a cake walk. So now I get to confront my doc over his watered down notes. The notes indicate how really involved he no longer is in my case - he doesn't even know what
's going on. Another small draing action required to get his accurat report for the insurancel.

Is my COBRA running out soon? When would Medicare kick in? We received a bill for $1200 for my recent CT scan. Chest, abdomen and pelvis, over $700 each. All in one scan, but billed as three separate events. Jacki is working hard at her job and dealing with her end of this cancer scene. My job is dealing with these seemingly minor issues. My head, and most of anybody's heads view my symptoms and tasks as minor. But it all feels near insurmountable to me. Sure, I know, one bite at a time.

So, I get up in the morning, do our coffee, bring it and the paper to jacki, read the paper and work Soduko with Jacki. Good quality time with my wife. Then she is off to work leaving about 3 hours for me to get things done before taking the little white pill of cancer slowing poison. Then I get to be non functional for 5 hours, give or take, Can't walk straight, drive, climb stairs.. I can talk, but look out for whatever words might leave my lips. That leaves about 3 hours in the evening before I am just too tired to do much at all. Recovery meetings, be a sponsor, be social and then lounge with the energy left over before twilight zone lethargy. Everyday. Everyday. Everyday.

The price the pill extracts for breaking it's scheduled demands is increased dysfunction for the next day or 2. I will not read this over beore clicking on publish. here it is unexpurgated. My hunch is it comes off as complaining. Some days are just like that.
Bill

9 comments:

  1. Ah but here I am, Bill, still reading, still praying, and still loving you! Thanks for writing. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bill. I really need your words. I love you and Jacki so much. I think of you often and pray for you daily. Thank you for letting us in. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are loved and appreciated. Thanks for letting us in, for your courage and openness. You are not judged here, Bill. Just loved. Your powerlessness mirrors our powerlessness. We surrender for each other, over and over again. We keep asking, "where is God in this" and sometimes discover he is in pain shared, the love that dissolves the illusion of separation, even if only for a nanosecond, our ability to see what is good even in the midst of unmanageably.

    Thanks for writing brother. Thanks for your great love and care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to all who comment. Ego completely aside I am left with gratitude for all.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been reading this blog some time ago. Deeply touched by your entries. Feel your pains and fears. Thank you for sharing your innermost feelings. Take care.

    Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you Bill......Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill,

    Just read your latest posting and I appreciate that you are writing!! All the real life stuff and your honest reactions to it. I really appreciate that you are human and are having human reactions. Emotions overflow at times especially when we encounter obstacles that we didn't have on our radar, and even those that are on the radar that are not to our liking.

    Your courage and strength to just put your life out there for all of us who can't be a close part of your activities, provides us with the feedback on all the love and prayers that are being sent your way.

    My thoughts and prayers are frequently with you. Love and Care as always

    Preston

    ReplyDelete
  8. So....
    I may have some time coming up during the week. Maybe I could help calling some insurance co, cobra, the president, whatever you need!
    We could do lunch too... or not

    How can I help?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bill,
    You don't know me, I'm a friend of Susan's. My husband and I try to go to the Bluegrass festival every year and enjoy seeing Susan and Neil there. I have been prayng for you off and on ever since you were diagnosed with cancer and I'm sure sorry that you are still having to deal with it.
    It's hard to understand how a loving God can let awful things like cancer happen to us. What I've seen in my own life is that when everything is going OK I don't look for God, but when I have serious problems I start asking Him for help. To quote Joni Earickson Tada, "God allows what He hates to produce what He loves". He hates the disease and the way it hurts you and your family, but He loves it when we come to Him. He wants a personal relationship with you. He created each of us with a "God-shaped void" in our hearts that only He can fill. But we go about our lives trying to find happiness and fulfillment in everything else. The sickness that you suffer from is the result of sin in the world. It began when Eve and Adam disobeyed God and ate the forbidden fruit. Without sin, none of us would have to die, but because of sin, we all die. "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." God wants to give us eternal life with Him and He does that by taking away our sin. Jesus died to take away our sin. There is nothing we can to to get rid of sin ourselves; it is a gift from God. Have you ever been given gift that you refused to accept? That is what happens with God's gift of eternal life. He offers it, but not everyone accepts the gift. It is the ONLY way to have eternal life, and I'm convinced by God's word, the Bible, that He wants you to have it. "For God so loved the world (including Bill) that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him (Jesus) shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through Him." What does that mean to "be saved through Him"? We all need to be saved from the penalty of our sins. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." Jesus is the ONLY WAY to get our sins forgiven. It is a gift from God, not by any works that we can do. The way to have the gift of eternal life is to admit that you are a sinner, believe that Jesus died to pay for your sins and rose from the dead(if you don't believe it, ask God to help you have faith), and commit to live your life for Him. He doesn't expect us to change BEFORE we accept the gift. He will change us after we commit our lives to Him. That is a decision only you can make. Will you trust Jesus to save you, and will you commit your life to Him? I did that and He has changed my life from the destructive lifestyle I was living and He has given me a reason to live! It's not for myself, but for Him.
    I am still praying for you and your family. I don't know where you live, or your anything about your treatments at Bethesda, but we live about one hour south of there. If it would help to stay at our house rather than a motel when you come for treatments, you are welcome here. My email is thebullers@comcast.net.
    I wish you God's blessing on your life and peace in your heart. Please let me know if I can be of help to you in any way.
    Sincerely, Gail Buller

    ReplyDelete