Sunday, December 26, 2010

Long Slow Drawn Out?

2 yrs ago I learned I have cancer and saw the CT scan pic of a baseball sized tumor on my right kidney and one radiologist saw, "too many nodules to count" in my lungs. Turns out the nodules are kidney cancer cells spread into my lungs. I went Mayo Clinic, surprised for some reason that I got to go there. After much poking, prodding, scanning, etc, they gave me a very invasive biopsy, sticking fingers and equipment between my ribs. It still hurts where they took chunks out of my lung.

Bottom line, they made a diagnosis, told me I had 18mos to 2yrs, and referred me for a 2nd opinion. Turns out they were a little off on diagnosis: they urethelial but it turns out to be kidney. Either way, the cells are papillary cells which make my cancer unusual and as of 2yrs ago, incurable. mPRCC. Metastasized Papillary Renal Cell Carcinoma. Metastasized means spread into other areas of the body. A papillary cell has kinda like fingers, which grab into surrounding healthy tissue. Renal means kidney. Carcinoma is basically a lump of cancer cells.

Now I don't know about you, but until it hit me, I thought cancer was cancer. Now I know there are a couple hundred kinds of cancers. Some can be removed. Some respond well to chemo or radiation, and we have all heard of cancer just disappearing. I would never have guessed there are several types of Kidney cancer cells and several of lung and breast and bone and blood. I would never have guessed I would get a slow growing type of kidney cancer that at best can be slowed but not stopped with current drugs. Today when I see or hear about "find a cure for cancer" or especially when I hear, "give us money to find a cure for cancer" I wonder who it is that thinks they know what that means. I do have a cynical side.

So, here I am. One year passed, 18mos passed, and now 2 years. My cancer has grown slightly although the drug combo trial I am on showed tiny shrinkage 3 months ago. There may be tiny cancer spots on a couple of my bones. They may want to put me on an additional chemo drug for that. However, I most certainly am not dead. Not in a box. I have not passed (please do not ever use that term about me). I am still with us, involved, useful and grateful to still be kicking.

Only recently has it sunk into my head that this process could go on for years. One, two, five, ten? Current drugs still cannot cure it nor even stop it, but they sure seem to keep things slow growing. Maybe a cure will be developed within those possible years. I hope so. In the mean time, what is my life about? If I have only 6 or 7 hours per day, half a.m. and half pm, then what can I do with those hours. The hours are a little bit predictable and a little bit regular. Sometimes I am just out of it for a whole day or two.

Some who read this tend to think I need to be told that I need to eat right, or meditate more, or pray more, or think positive. Some have indirectly or directly implied that if I do things right then I can cure this cancer. Or, if I had lived right I would not even have cancer. What do they really mean by those words and implications? That it could never happen to you and if it did you could fix it? Come on, give all a break when we suffer a human malady. "I am here by God's grace and mercy, I ain't with no controversy."

Somehow that leads me back around to what is my life about? What can I do? Each hour of each day I can do the best I can. I can ask for help, from up on high or even at a homeless shelter. I can give whatever I can. I can seek patience, tolerance, wonder and awe at how joyous so much of my surroundings are. I can become more honest and gently direct in my communications. Do we really need elephants in the living room that no one talks about?

What can I do? I could just be stuck in fear and sad and anger. Or,I can continue being part of the medical community PRACTICING medicine. I can seek all the qualities and spiritual principles that add up to gratitude and love. I can enjoy efforts at being a kind, gentle and loving man living a wondrous life with wondrous relationships. I can relish the moments of humility being Bill Banana, one of the bunch.
Bill

6 comments:

  1. Bill,

    Thanks for sharing. I'm encouraged when I read your resolve to be the best you can be. Personally, I would like to leave the medical PRACTICING for someone else as I've had more than my share of goof-ups. But your resolve helps me to think in the same direction.
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dianneduffy

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm greatful to be in the bunch!

    I love your banana...aw, I don't think that sounds right. Who cares.


    I love you, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best blog yet, Bill! You make my day bright!

    Love from your mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am grateful, to be apart of your bunch Bill.
    I love you & miss your company Dearly !
    Dartland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am much happier being a banana in a bunch than a nut in a cluster.

    I love you Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this, you are giving back to the universe. My husband died 5 years ago of prostate cancer. Reading your posts gave words to the feelings I believe my husband was feeling. He was not a communicator, the elephant was in the middle of the room and it blocked all our views. You hit a nerve regarding people who inquire if; you ate this, took that, tried doing the other, actually, people want answers to their fears.
    I was most moved when I read your comment about getting a hug; I wish my husband could have said that to me. I did hug him as did other family and friends, yet he always looked so bewildered when being hugged. Maybe you helped me to understand how he might have felt inside.
    I have never written on a post, so I don't really know how this works, but thanks for comminicating even if there is little to say.

    ReplyDelete